Fortnite voice chat not working is a known issue in today’s gaming world. This issue has affected a wide range of devices and users. The Fortnite game was launched by Epic Games back in 2017, and till now no reliable solution to fix this problem is released by the game company. In this article, we will talk in detail about this game and what this issue is all about. Catch us after the break!
What is Fortnite Game, how it works?
Fortnite Battle Royale game is just like that of PUBG, were in up to a total of 100 players fight to defeat and be the last person to win the game.
Fortnite is usually divided into three versions, called Fortnite: Save the world, Fortnite: Battle Royale and Fortnite Creative. The game is available on different platforms like Xbox, PS4, Windows PC, macOS, Nintendo, iOS and Android.
How to install Fortnite?
The installation process for Fortnite: Battle Royale is straight forward. To begin with the installation process, please be informed that the game installation file size is around 15 GB hence downloading the game at the right time would matter a lot when your internet-connected is on FUP and also the required space is available on the disk drive.
Also, Fortnite: Battle Royale is not able on Steam for PC and Mac users; hence players would need to get free installation copy from Epic Game official download page.
Recommended System Requirements for Fortnite: Battle Royale on Windows:
- OS: Windows 7/8 or 10 64bit
- CPU: i5-7300U 3.5 GHz
- RAM: 8 GB
- GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 (minimum)
Once the above system requirements are met for Windows-based PC, please follow below steps to install and make it up and running:
- Download Fortnite from EPIC Games official page here.
- Wait for the .msi launcher to download & launch the installer file
- It will install the Fortnite executable file in no time.
- Once the installation process is complete, go to start menu -> search and launch the game
- It will ask you to create an account or sign in
- After the sign-in process is complete, it will ask you to install the complete Fortnite package
- The package will start downloading and install, and then it will offer to run
- Click on the Fortnite: Battle Royale to start playing!
As now we are aware of Fortnite and how to install the game, let’s talk about the issue and how to resolve it.
What is Fortnite voice not working issue all about?
Just like any other online multiplayer games, there is a chat option. It depends upon the game and the game developer community to decide and include the type of voice chat software they want to use in their game. The different chat options available in games are Discord, Twitch, TeamSpeak, Overtone, Steam Chat and many more.
In the case of Fortnite game, they are using Party Hub voice chat service, which is a separate company that Epic Game acquired. The Party Hub voice chat service is having an issue in the game when players are not able to communicate with their teammates. Party chat works but players are facing problem interacting with people in the lobby or in-game
Epic Game released many patches to fix, which worked for limited users, but a significant portion of Fortnite: Battle Royale players are still affected by Fortnite voice chat not working issue.
The voice chat not working issue is visible on Windows, macOS, Android, PS4 and there is not concrete fix or workaround available.
Steps to Troubleshoot Fortnite voice chat not working issue:
Now we are aware of the affected devices, installation, and what this is all about. Lets deep dive into steps to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.
1) Check Headset or Microphone connectivity:
When we encounter any issue, we start doing troubleshooting on a large scale and skip the basic and standard option. In the same manner, there are instances were due to issue with headset or microphone (i.e. hardware issue) we face such problem.
Hence, we should start checking the settings for the headset or microphone. To begin with, try to unplug and plug it back to the device, try increasing/decreasing volume, check for mute and an error message that may appear on the device.
2) Sign in and sign out of Fortnite: Battle Royale:
The second easy option to resolve the issue is by logging out and log in back into the Fortnite game.
To begin with, launch the Battle Royale game, once the game is launched, click on sign out, close the game window, relaunch it -> sign in and check for the issue.
3) Check audio settings in Fortnite Battle Royale:
The third fix in our list is to check audio settings in Fortnite game,
- To begin with, launch the game -> click on the hamburger menu on the top right-hand corner
- Navigate to game settings -> look for the speaker icon
- Disable the voice chat option then turn it on and repeat the process for few times.
By disabling and enabling the voice chat, the game will reset the voice chat settings. For a few users, it works like a charm, but for others, it didn’t work, and they have to repeat the same steps every time they start the game.
4) Check audio settings on Windows:
There are instances were due to hardware or driver issue the headset or microphone doesn’t work efficiently. Therefore, to resolve this issue, we need to check and fix the audio settings issue.
- On Windows, go to bottom right-hand side corner -> right click on sound option > select open sound settings
- In the Sound settings window -> from the option on the right-hand side select “Sound control panel”
- In sound control panel -> on “Playback” tab -> select the speaker (connected headset/microphone) -> click on “Set Default” option -> apply -> ok
- Repeat the above steps for “Recording” tab -> select the speaker -> click on “Set Default” option -> apply -> ok
After completing the above step, launch the Fortnite game -> turn on the voice chat and see how it works.
5) Windows troubleshooter for Audio Settings:
Windows operating system comes with in-built troubleshooter, that can be used to fix issues related to audio settings.
- To run audio troubleshooter, go to start -> type in search “troubleshoot settings” -> enter
- In the troubleshoot window, scroll down -> under “find and fix other problems” -> select “Speech” -> select “Run the troubleshooter”
- The Run the troubleshooter option will open speech troubleshooter -> follow the on-screen instruction
- Once the troubleshooter completes execution, launch game and checks for the issue.
6) Update audio driver:
Sometimes updating the audio driver also fix the problem with microphone or headset. The reason behind this is, when Fortnite releases a new patch or update or when there is Windows update the system and game gets updated, however, the audio driver remains old, and it starts causing the issue. Hence, updating the audio driver is only the left-out way to fix the problem.
To update audio drivers, please follow the below steps:
- Go to start -> type “device manager” ->enter
- In the Device Manager window go to Audio inputs and output option
- Select “Microphone array (microphone) or speakers/headphones” -> right-click -> update drivers
- In the next window, select “Browse my computer for driver software” -> “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” -> select the latest driver from the list -> next
- Wait for Windows to perform driver update, once the update process is completed it will show “device updated successfully” and ask to restart
- Please restart the PC and check for any possible issues
- Also, in case the issue is not resolved after installing the latest compatible driver, it is always recommended to install the generic drivers after the “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” window -> install and test the game audio
7) Install Fortnite patch:
Epic Game keeps releasing new patches to fix bugs and add new functionality to the game. Sometimes installing such patches also resolves Fortnite voice chat not working issue.
To install a patch on Fortnite Battle Royale game kindly follow below steps:
- Launch Fortnite game using Epic Game launcher from the start menu
- Once the game is open-,> from left panel-> click on the library
- Now in the library panel -> click on gear button from the bottom right corner -> turn on “Auto-update.”
- Restart the Epic Game launcher -> if any patch is available for the game it will be auto-detected -> downloaded & installed for the game
Once the patch is fixed for the game, launch the game and check voice chat not working issue is resolved or not.
8) Restart Audio Service for Windows:
Sometimes due to Windows issue, files/folders or registry for a specific or group of services gets damaged; hence even after running troubleshooter, it didn’t resolve the problem.
Therefore, it becomes crucial to manually enable or disable any malfunctioning services or feature in Windows PC. Hence, in this case, we are going to stop and restart the audio services settings and will check if that resolves the issue.
- Go to start -> type “services” ->enter
- In the services window -> from the list of services(local)-> select “Windows Audio.”
- Now from the left-hand option -> click on “Restart”
- Wait for the audio service to restart
After the audio service restart is complete, launch Fortnite and check for voice chat issue.
9) Tweaking Windows Registry:
Tweaking Windows Registry is an advanced troubleshooting step wherein we make changes to the registry to fix broken registry values.
- Go to start -> type “regedit” -> enter
- The registry editor window will open on the screen
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epic Games and HKEY_USERSLONG-STRING-OF-CHARACTERS-REMOVED\Software\Epic Games
- Once you can find Epic Games directory delete them from both registries mentioned above path
- Close registry editor and restart the computer
- Launch Epic Game launcher from the start menu and check for the issue
10) Reinstall Fortnite:
This would be the last option a gamer will prefer to go with when every other step fails to solve the issue.
- To reinstall Fortnite game, please launch the game using Epic Game launcher
- Once the game is open-,> from left panel-> click on the library
- Now in the library panel -> click on gear button from the bottom right corner -> select “Uninstall.”
- Once the uninstallation is complete, restart the computer
- Relaunch Epic Game launcher to download & complete the installation
There are few other fixes that gamers can try like, if using Nvidia card, go to game audio setting & adjust settings to Nvidia Virtual Mic and also make sure to use audio port available on the back of the PC rather than the front one.
Also, in case Xbox create Xbox party -> settings -> switch it to game chat. The gamer will still be in the Xbox party, but by switching the party to game chat, it should work. It may not work for the first time, but it does the work in second or in the third attempt.
We hope the above-listed option will surely help to resolve the Fortnite voice chat not working issue permanently. Do let us know which one of these helped you to fix the problem in your comments below.