You reached the correct place if you are looking for the best laptop for architecture in 2018. For architects and architecture students, a good quality laptop is a must. A laptop with particular specifications is essential buying, not every laptop will be able to work for your architecture work. With the computational software, architectural design is made effective as well as simpler and not every system you find in the market will be suitable. Let’s put it that way; you buy a laptop without seeing the configurations.
The software may work on it but would you want to wait for half an hour while a basic model gets rendered? This is what happens when you do not consider the specifications while buying the best laptop for architecture. The laptop that you buy should work well and fast with the necessary software like AutoCAD, Vectorworks, SketchUp, Chief Architect, Punch, ArchiCAD, etc.
When you are looking out for a laptop for architecture students or professional architects, there are certain specifications that you need to look for to ensure having bought the right system for your work. Most configurations are the same in both cases, if there are any changes, we will specify it below.
By keeping many useful aspects in mind, we have compiled a list of laptops that are suitable for architect professional and architecture students. This will help you know which is the best system to buy according to your needs and budget. Check out the list mentioned below:
List of Best Laptop for Architecture and Architecture Students:
Acer Aspire 7 Casual Gaming Laptop
Acer has been offering quality laptops to the users, and the Acer Aspire 7 is one of them with higher hardware specification to run most of the engineering and architecture applications. Many architecture students prefer using this laptop since it is power packed with required specifications.
Though the Acer claims that this laptop is good for casual gaming, that is the main point makes this one of the best laptop for architecture. The best thing about the laptop is that it is reasonably priced compared to those that are priced high with the same configurations. It equipped with powerful 8th Gen i7 Processor, 8GB RAM and hybrid hard disk consists of 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. The larger and faster disk allows you to store lots of your engineering drawings and 3D files. NVIDIA GTX 1050 with 4GB display card should handle the all 2D and 3D graphics requirement by the architecture programs for professionals and students. Listed below are the important features that matter:
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8750H 6 Core
- 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM
- 128GB SSD+ 1TB Hard Drive
- 4GB Dedicated Display Card
- Fingerprint Reader
- Fast boot up
- Quick processor
- Great display
- Excellent i7 performance
- Sleek steel body
- Average battery life
Microsoft Surface Book 2
Microsoft has been climbing up the ladder with its Surface. At present, it is one of the best laptops available in the market for everyone. The Microsoft Surface Book 2 lies in under $1500 category, and there are many other models to choose from which are priced higher.
The Surface book is suitable for architecture students for all the features that it provides. The detachable screen with impressive touch response and the stylus, make this 2 in 1 laptop suitable to architectures who are on the move all the time. This laptop cum tablet is a worthy investment. Consider the configurations mentioned below:
- Intel Core i5
- 13.5-inch screen size
- PixelSense touchscreen display 3000 x 2000 resolution
- 256 GB SSD
- 2GB Dedicated display
- 8 GB RAM
- Weight: 3.38 pounds
- Beautiful design
- Seamless transformation
- Strong performance
- Backlit keyboard
- Great battery
- High quality built
- No function to control the brightness
- Takes more to charge
Dell G5587-7866BLK-PUS G5
The Dell G5587-7866BLK-PUS G5 one of the best and fully packed with specifications needed by an architecture student at an affordable price. The laptop delivers some specific high-end features which would prove it to be a worthy investment. If you are a student and gaming addict, then get this nice laptop.
8th Gen processor, 16GB RAM, and 128GB SSD for Operating System and applications going to handle any complex task you throw at it. The RAM can be upgraded to 32GB if it is not enough to manage your work. Check out the features mentioned below to make a decision:
- 8th Gen Intel 6-Core i7-8750H
- 16 GB DDR4
- 1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Dedicated 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
- Powerful processor
- Excellent graphics
- Hybrid disk
- Heating Issue
- Issues in upgrading
Acer Aspire E 15 (Under $600)
Acer has always provided quality laptops, and there is no doubt with the Acer Aspire E 15 as well. This laptop is one of the least expensive systems in this list of best laptop for architecture students, and this does not mean it does not have the required specifications.
The laptop is one of the preferred systems for architecture students and is worth it. Check out the features, pros, and cons mentioned below before investing.
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor
- NVIDIA GeForce MX150 with 2GB of GDDR5 Video Memory
- 256GB SSD
- 15.6″ Full HD Widescreen Comfy View
- 8GB DDR4 Memory
- LED-backlit Display
- Low cost laptop for Architecture Students
- Great display
- Minimal bloatware
- Amazing battery life
- Reasonable price tag
- Wifi issues
2018 Newest Dell 7000 Series Premium Business Laptop
The Dell 7000 series business is another laptop that is suggested to the architecture students for its features and the price it is sold at. It includes all the necessities required by the architecture students.
The 8 GB RAM is suitable for multitasking and running all the necessary software. It is missing the SSD part compared to other laptops in this list. It is a standard business laptop without bulky or gaming design. Check out the detailed configurations to take the right buying decision:
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8550 Processor
- 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to 16GB
- 1TB mechanical hard drive
- 15.6-inch FHD
- 8th Gen i7 Business look laptop
- Good display
- Quality build
- Minimal bloatware
- Good battery life
- No SSD
Lenovo 320 Business Laptop PC
Another business laptop in this list. When you are a professional architect/engineer or the student, why don’t you try business laptops? The Lenovo 320 L is a laptop that is priced at a reasonable price with impressive hardware specification. The laptop is perfect for professional architects with its features.
Though the system doesn’t have the high-end gaming graphics card, it is worth every dollar spent. The laptop has some features useful to the architects and below mentioned is the list.
- Intel i7-7500U – can be boosted up to 3.5GHz
- 12GB DDR4 RAM
- 256GB Solid State Drive
- NVIDIA 940MX 2GB
- Great price for the hardware combination
- Quick boot
- High quality build
- DVD R/W Drive
- Only 5 hours battery life
MSI GL62M 7RDX-1645 (with 512GB SSD)
The MSI GL62M 7RDX-1645 is a laptop that is not much used by many architects, but the features make it a suitable system. It is a laptop that offers impressive specifications that are suitable for reasonalbe price from MSI.
Rated 4 stars out of 5 in Amazon customers who bought this laptop. MSI usually build great laptops for a higher price, but this time you get cost-effective MSI laptop with normal hardware specification which is not less than other models in this list. Below is the configuration you must consider if you are an MSI fan.
- Core i7-7700HQ (2.8-3.8GHz)
- NVIDIA GTX 1050 2GB DDR5
- Windows 10 PRO
- 15.6″ Full HD eDP Vivi Color
- 8GB RAM DDR4 2400MHz
- 512GB SSD
- Best laptop for the price from MSI
- Solid performance
- Excellent build quality
- Many models available
- Less RAM
Apple MacBook Pro (Retina & Touch Bar)
Apple is one of the best and the most preferred brand when it comes to buying laptops. Most architects prefer buying the Apple MacBook Pro laptop for its specifications and quality. Apple has always been providing the clients with the top notch quality systems, and the Apple MacBook Pro is the same.
With the many specifications, the system is priced on the higher side. Any specific applications required for Architecture in macOS platform, better get the MacBook Pro with the larger screen compared to MacBook Air. Consider the features, pros, and cons listed below before taking the purchase decision:
- 2.66GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
- 512GB SSD storage
- 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
- Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB memory
- 2880×1800 pixels screen resolution
- Crisp Display
- Big trackpad
- Great performance
- Amazing quality as usual
- Super quick boot
- Not upgradable
HP Spectre x360-13t Quad Core
Get this 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop if you need the best convertible laptop for Architecture. Suitable for students and engineers to do multitasking in a stylish way in this powerful convertible laptop. The system is packed with all the features required by an architect and all the software that they want to run, runs efficiently.
You get unbelievable hardware spec on this tiny 13.3 inches screen laptop. The latest powerful 8th Gen i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD storage are the best you get in this beast. Drawing and designing become easy with the touchscreen and convenient stylus with it.
Below listed are the features of the laptop:
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U
- 13.3″ Full HD Grolla Glass screenglare (1920 x 1080) Display
- 512GB M.2 SSD
- 16GB RAM
- Convertable 2-in-1
- Max Specs in 13-inch laptop
- Easy portability
- Just 2.87 Pounds
- Fantastic screen
- 16 Hours battery life
ASUS ROG Strix Hero Edition
Last but not the least in the list of best laptop for architecture is the ASUS ROG Strix Hero Edition 15.6-inch laptop. It is one of the most preferred and ideal laptops for professional architects for its configurations and price.
Though it is targetting gaming users, we can use the same hardware for our business or studies. It offers all the necessary features you may require. The list of features mentioned below says it all:
- Latest 8th Generation Intel Core i7 3.9GHz (max Clock speed)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB discrete graphics
- Fast 128GB SSD combined with Large 1TB FireCuda Hybrid Disk
- 15.6 Inch Full HD Display
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
- Windows 10 Pre-installed
- Super performance
- Great graphics and Display
- Quick boot
- Great quality
- Noisy fan
Best Laptop for Architecture Buying Guide
Check out the list of features that make a good laptop for architecture work and support the required architecture software.
- To make certain that all the software are running properly, you need to get at least CPU having Intel i5 or higher. With this, you will ensure that all the work is done without any hassle.
- The architectural software will take up a huge space on your laptop. Thus, a system with 8GB RAM is a must. It would be great if you could buy a higher RAM laptop but of course, it would come with a cost.
- Buying a laptop having SSD is a good option because the software will take up space and the system needs to be running fast. Also, the SSD comes with a high price tag and thus opting for the hybrid drive is a good decision. The architecture software and operating system can be on the SSD while the other data can be on HDD.
- One of the most confusing questions is to go with Windows or Mac. Both handle the specifications with the job well. There is no doubt that the Windows is more user-friendly, but it also exposed to more virus than Mac. Many professionals consider Mac for the fantastic graphics applications but are also considered overpriced by many. The choice is yours ultimately.
- Screen resolution is another important factor to be considered which is often neglected. You want the model to be appealing and more realistic, and for this purpose, the screen resolution plays a vital role. A laptop having Full High Definition is a must while the Ultra High Definition, 4K, and 5K will prepare you for the future modern trends.
- Price of the laptop is crucial to consider as well. While the architecture students bother about this aspect more than the professionals. Do not worry; many systems are perfect for the students and also priced reasonably.
We have listed above the ten best laptops for architecture, consider your requirements and budget before buying. Hope the guide will make your buying decision simpler.